Saturday, May 9, 2020

Maa, Meri Maa...


On Mother's Day, sharing the story of my patient admitted in the ICU and her young son while I was posted in the ICU as part of my residency many years back.

It has been days since she was brought in an unresponsive state, found to be in asytole...CPR given...had a Ventricular tachycardia...Given DC shock...reverted...intubated...and shifted to the ICU...now ALIVE..with tracheostomy, on life support...but sadly her neurological outcome is poor.

The son could not see his mother suffer anymore, and signed the DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) yesterday...All these days, it was heart touching to see him try talking to her, get his cheek near her lips so that she could give him one kiss like she always used to before...an ideal loving, caring son...This note placed next to her says it all.

The reason I share this is because there is so much we have to express to a person we love, be it out Grandparents, Parents, Siblings, Friends, Lover, etc....but we never do or we never feel the need to, as it is understood or we take it for granted...it is only after they go far away or we lose them that we realize we had so much to say to them.

Friends, if this touches you, make sure to TELL the people who you love what they mean to you (instead of updating your status on FB on those Mother's/ Father's Days, etc)...how much you care for them..how beautiful life has been with them..see old photo albums together..relieve the memories..laugh..cry..cherish the moments..and LET THEM KNOW HOW MUCH YOU LOVE THEM...before its too late...and all you are left with is guilt or regret that, "I wish I would have told..."

This is what it says:

MOM YOU ARE SPECIAL.
You have been the essence of my life even before I opened my eyes to this beautiful world. You tender touch and loving gestures still make me feel warm, secure and dearly loved. Mom, as I look back upon the years gone by, life has always been blissful in the shade of your love.

Today, I would like to thank you for all your little acts of greatness, when you added your magical touch to my small but significant steps in life. You've always encouraged me and lent a helping hand whenever I lost my confidence and instilled the thought that I could overcome just about everything.

You make me realize that I could count on you anywhere, anytime. I may not have thanked you enough but I want you to know that you are my most prized gift from God. You are my divine angel.

I LOVE YOU MOM.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seema Pawar said...

Yes Mohit, nice work there... My sentiments exactly, but I have realized that such situations are not so simple and its very easy to be judgmental about such children. God knows I have made that mistake. There are families where the parents wish to send their children to greener pastures in a faraway land and these very parents advertise this fact with great pride once their ward has done so. Unfortunately, little do they realize that once they take up a job it is not feasible to make a return trip as and when required. Also, the parents and the kids have probably not thought that far ahead or probably think that they will manage when such a time would come. Further, the parents are also, obstinate and refuse to leave their home and go live with their children even when begged by them. Major changes require major adjustments, from all concerned. Imagine such a child being haunted with guilt all his life, who couldn’t be there for his parents when it mattered the most. Two sides to every coin…Of course it does not mean that there aren’t children who neglect their parents by choice and what can one say about those who do so living under the same roof. Anyway, judging by the comments its reassuring to know that there are young people out there who are sensitive to this issue. Keep it up.